Photo source: scrapbook.sreski.com
I’ve always been a pearl girl. From the day my dad came home with a delicate strand of freshwater pearls to give his seven-year old daughter, I’ve preferred pearls over diamonds. Twenty years later and I still love them. And I also love the term “pearls of wisdom”. It harkens to something precious – lessons learned occasionally the hard way, sometimes gleaned from the insight of others, and often still in the process of being discovered. As I turn twenty-seven years old today I came up with twenty-seven pearls that I wanted to share.
- Don’t regret those laugh lines. They were earned!
- Sometimes the best thing for a bad day is a good sweat sesh – pound that pavement, spin those pedals, push into that yoga mat.
- Growing up isn’t about “finding yourself”. You’re not lost. Be you, bravely and unashamedly you, and be the best possible version.
- If there are two ways to interpret something, choose the positive.
- The best criteria for making tough decisions: “Is it loving?” and “Is it wise?”
- Pick your battles.
- Strive to positively impact the lives of those around you each day.
- Use it or lose it – take care of that body and keep moving!
- You are wonderfully made – embrace your shape, your size, everything that makes you beautifully and uniquely you.
- Know your inner voice: Learn to silence that internal critic when it’s being unkind and when to hear the persistent whisper of intuition.
- Set goals for yourself, both long term and short term.
- Stand up for those who are weaker than you, always.
- Eat food that tastes good and makes you feel good.
- Volunteer – you get back so much more than you could ever give.
- Always keep learning, try a new hobby/skill.
- Give grace to others, you don’t know their story.
- Strive for simplicity, cluttering your life with stuff makes it hard to have room for the important things and people.
- Be brave, and know that fear is not weakness.
- Someone else always has a brighter light, shine yours anyway.
- Never buy cheap shoes, especially high heels
- Laugh! Laugh at yourself, laugh with others.
- It’s better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.
- Don’t just dream it, do it.
- Confidence, joy, and kindness are your best accessories.
- Love is a choice. Choose love.
Any pearls of wisdom that you guys have picked up over the years?