Do you hear it? Birdsong filling the air, the pop and fizz of champagne bubbles, the gentle murmur of lovers whispering sweet nothings. Yeah, me neither… I’ve been single long enough to understand the beef some people have with Valentine’s Day and I nurse a love/hate relationship with it still (mostly the marketing and consumerism messages that get thrown around like so many rose petals). On the flip side, I really do enjoy celebrating holidays and cherish the opportunity to make memories with the ones I love. So J and I are going for an understated celebration on this, our first Valentine’s Day together.
We’ve opted to do a nice dinner in tonight. No puppy sitter required, I love cooking anyway, and we can keep saving for upcoming travel adventures. I did splurge on some fair trade Belgian chocolate for us. And for dinner? I’m whipping up some bacon-wrapped scallops (because bacon truly is the way to my man’s heart), a mushroom risotto, roasted asparagus, and an irish cream mousse for dessert. Recipes to come soon! We’ve got a tasty bottle of sparkling wine to enjoy and my grand plan is to cuddle up on the couch with my Mr. and my pup and watch a fun action flick. Understated, and oh, so fun!
In celebration of today, I wanted to tell you a little about this man who holds my heart.
- He’s a Mr. Fix It.
- He has an amazing work ethic
- He doesn’t take crap from anyone.
- He is a leader at heart.
- He has sky blue eyes.
- He doesn’t shirk from responsibility.
- He knows his mind and holds to his principles.
- He knows what it means to be a true friend.
- He’s always ready for a fun adventure.
- He’s the guy you go to for advice about almost anything.
- He jumped out of an airplane with me, 3 weeks into our relationship.
- He puts up a tough exterior but he’s a softy deep down.
- He has a heart of gold.
- He is content with the little things: a great day with friends, a cozy evening in.
- He’s trustworthy and honest.
- He takes pride in a job well done.
- He likes working with his hands.
- He loves football and baseball.
- He gives me flowers (and knows lilies are my favorite) ”just because”.
- He loves to laugh.
- He believes actions speak louder than words.
- He works hard for everything he has.
- He’s afraid of heights.
- He loves going camping.
- He’s a man of integrity.
- He stands up for the weak, the innocent, and the hurting.
- He’s not afraid to make a fool of himself to get me laughing.
- He’s a planner.
- He likes to keep things tidy.
- He loves the outdoors.
- He’s a great judge of character.
- He took me running for our second date and hiking for our third date.
- He wants to golf more.
- He is my loving protector.
So what are you guys doing today? Are there celebrations planned? Are you going to ignore all the hoopla? Inquiring minds want to know!
And one more thing: in the spirit of all those Valentine cards we used to give in grade school, I wish you all a very Happy Valentine’s Day and ask that you would be my Valentine.